Monday, April 29, 2013

More Laurel!

Well, hello there!

I'm back to share more photos of my recent Laurel shift dresses. I had so much fun making these, and adding on little embellishments and details. When I added them to the Colette Patterns flickr group, though, I was BLOWN AWAY at all of the other amazing, awe-inspiring versions posted there. Really, go check 'em out.



laurel v.1



IMG_2085




My grey linen version was my first go at the Laurel pattern, and I was instantly hooked. It's such a simple pattern to sew up and the fit was pretty great -  it just needed some taking in along the side seams for me, and then, voila! Cute, wearable, comfy dresses that are fun to make and wear.



laurelv2




For my second version, I opted to use a cute, busy floral print I'd had hanging out in my stash for a little while. It's a fun quilting cotton that Tom's mom passed on to me after she'd gone through her (amazing) craft room.  That's another great thing about this pattern - it works as well with plain fabrics as it does with busy prints!



IMG_2102





I omitted the sleeves (obviously) for this version, and went to town with the kelly green bias tape (also from my stash). I had just enough to add tiny bows to the pockets after binding everything, which is now probably my favorite feature. I just love the summery 1960s feel of this dress. I made sure to make this version slightly longer than my linen one, so that it's still well above the knee, but is a little more... modest & work-friendly.




IMG_2095





In adding the pockets on this second go-around, I will share one (very tiny) little tip I learned. When the directions suggest that you create a cardboard cut-out to use in turning under and pressing the outer edge of the pocket, before attaching it to the dress, I was like "heck no." I just ended up stitching 3/8" from the edge all round the pocket and then using that line of stitching to help me guide the fold of the fabric when pressing. It worked pretty well and I didn't need to dig up any cardboard. I did cheat a little and use my Dritz Ezy-hem to aid in pressing, but it wasn't actually necessary.







So, what do you all think? Are you as hooked on the Laurel pattern as I am?

Have you entered the Colette Laurel Sewing Contest? There's still a tiny bit of time left if you haven't posted yours yet!


15 comments:

  1. Loving these...especially that bright one. Kelly green gets me every time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both gorgeous! What a good example of how different the pattern can look made up in different fabrics. Love the little bows on the floral one's pockets. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just followed your link from Flickr and have to say I really love these both! Best Laurels I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I love both versions, but am particularly fond of the floral one. I really want to make a Laurel, great for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pockets are such a nice detail... especially the ones with the bows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both so adorable and really look cute on you! I love the little details you added. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! Adore both versions, but the linen one really caught my eye! Stylish, cute and looks great on you. Good luck in the competition!

    Shiftdresses isn't my cup of tea, so I haven't tried this pattern, or any similar ones... Who knows what the future may bring, though? =) (Actually, I've just written a blogpost that's due to come up today about challenging my style-axioms. How do I know a style doesn't work for me if I've never tried to make it work? I'm going to get braver!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, love them both! I details are great. I especially love the colors your chose. The pink with grey linen and green with the floral are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are both so cute! Love the little details :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. both of these are really cute and totally different styles. love the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!
    Thanks for the inspiration! Seeing youre Laurels made me want to make my own! I gave you some love at my latest post about my first Laurel dress, over at my blog: http://trollemors-hverdag.blogspot.com/b/post-preview?token=th83f0EBAAA.hP0KOuWSauaqzP6N1IJPsw.dfmUaSdpBAmhFOFnpQGSjw&postId=3232227233367984689&type=POST

    Have a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog today and am loving looking at all your lovely work- now following along too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!